Monday, August 20, 2018

Dupe or Dud? Huda Beauty in Coral Obsessions VS Maybelline Lemonade Craze


It's time again for another "Dupe or Dud" post here at 523.... Today we are going to find out if the Maybelline Lemonade Craze pallet is a dupe for the highly coveted Huda Beauty Coral Obsessions pallet.

While feverishly searching for different looks to try out on the Maybelline Lemonade Craze pallet, I came across a few times where people were saying that the colors in Lemonade Craze pallet were duping the Huda Beauty Coral Obsessions pallet.  There were many compelling swatches online, so much in fact I wondered if it were true.  But ultimately I came to the decision that I must buy the Huda pallet and see for myself, if the Maybelline was truly the Huda dupe or not.

So, just for you my sweet friends, I dropped the money for this little....and I'm not joking, it's little, Huda Beauty pallet.



So let's look at the size of this pallet.  The Huda (on the right) is palm sized and tiny.  However, the pan sizes are pretty darn big.  I do enjoy how compact this pallet it and I think it would be a good travel companion for sure.

But let's start to look at the colors, and right off the bat you will see that there are only 9 colors in Huda but a whopping 12 colors in Maybelline.  Of course while you do get other colors in the Maybelline, you also get a different selection of colors in the Huda that you won't find in the Maybelline.

Let's talk swatches.  Below are the colors I found that are the most similar to each other.  You will see that I only found 3 close colors between both of the pallets.  And to be quite honest, these aren't so close that they are dupes either.  They are just very close.

You will see the yellows are have a slight different hue to them (H and 3).  The Maybelline is a bit brighter and the Huda leans more to a golden type color.

On the coral colors (E and 4) again, the Maybelline is a bit brighter and the Huda is more muted.

Lastly on the brown (L and 5)...although it looks like the Huda number 6 would be a better match, I think that's because of the lighting.  But in real life the 5 is the closest.  Color number 6 has more red tones in it when the light is picking it up better and it's much more of a pinky color than the L....but anyways, you get the idea.


While you could get a look that uses one pallet on one eye and one on the other and not see a difference, it's only if you apply the shades differently.  See below is the one I did with Huda on the right side and Maybelline on the left side. 



But you have to apply certain shades lighter and certain ones need to be built up, etc..  So in reality you don't have a "dupe". 

On this look above, I used the color 1 (Huda) on my lid on the right side and Sugar Coated (Maybelline) on my lid on the left side.  While they look like similar shades on my lids it's because I used setting spray with Sugar Coated and applied color 1 with my finger. 

Here's the swatches of Color 1 (Huda), Sugar Coated (Maybelline) and color 9 (Huda) all side by side to see that applied in the same manner, they are very different colors.



I guess with the correct application these shades can be made into dupes, I will most certainly agree with that.  But for the actual shade for shade comparison, they are not. 

My final thought on this Maybelline pallet is that while it's not a dupe for the Huda, I am not disappointed.  I can get a lot more looks from the Maybelline and vastly different looks with it as well, compared to Huda. 

The Huda has beautiful shadows and they are supreme quality.  They don't have the fall out like the Maybelline and that's a nice pro to the pallet.  But in reality I will and have been reaching for the Maybelline instead and that's where I would spend my money. 

  I think the Maybelline is a fantastic way to get the trendy yellow and coral looks without breaking the bank.  And if you can't go all out with Ice Pop coral or Lemonade Craze yellow daily, there are also nice neutrals that will give you a variety of looks to use. 

So that's all I have got for today.  I hope it was useful in helping you decide which one you would like to purchase, if any.  But mostly I hope it was entertaining.  I will see you all again next time.  Until then take care.

-Kim

No comments:

Post a Comment