Friday, October 5, 2018

Drugstore Must Haves: Makeup Products and my #1 Holy Grail product I would never live without!!



Happy Friday!! I'm so happy we get to sleep in tomorrow, but only for a little bit.  We have a Cubscout Family Day to go to tomorrow, we have to get a birthday gift for Caleb's little cousin and then we have.....oh wait, that's all we have on Saturday.  I could have sworn we had more to do....I'll probably forget some sort of important event we are supposed to do.  Is anyone else that busy that they can't find the time to even look at their calendar let alone, accomplish anything?  That's the story of my life until the the beginning of the New Year.

Ok, you are not here to listen to my gripes of my crazy, busy but wonderful schedule.  Let's get to my absolute favorite post out of this "Drugstore Must Have" series...the makeup!!!

I'm so excited for today's post!! I love makeup and what's even more is that I love, love, love drugstore makeup!!

Today I'm sharing with you my absolute must haves from the drugstore make up aisle.  If I were to lose it all, and that would be a severe tragedy indeed, these are the first things I'd run to the store to grab and start my collection over with.

I buy and try hundreds of products a year but even when you are an avid collector you need to have things that you for sure know they work.  These are my tried and true favorites, products that I can always fall back on and never worry about their outcome.  You will ALWAYS find these products in my stash, and I will, without hesitation, recommend these to anyone.  Here we go...

First up, I think I'm going to start with face makeup and move from there.  I think I'll just go in the order that I apply my makeup in.

Foundation:
Revlon Colorstay Foundation



I love the Revlon Colorstay Foundation for Oily Skin.  This is one that I can count on for any occasion, I use it as my base for comparisons when I try out other foundations and I can rely whole heartily with this foundation.  I like the staying power, the lasting power and the oil control it gives.


Concealer:
Maybelline Instant Age Rewind




I have two of these that are on regular usage in my collection.  The first one is the Maybelline Age Rewind in Neutralizer.  This has the perfect yellow undertones for my skin and I love how it brightens my face up.  It's a perfect medium coverage concealer for me, it sets nicely and last without looking cakey and gross by the end of the day.


Maybelline Master Conceal



The Maybelline Master Conceal is for heavy duty concealing.  I have some wretched skin days at times (mostly when stress is at it's finest) and this will help cover everything plus some.  I will let you in on a little secret.....don't tell anyone.....I have used this concealer as my actual all over the face foundation before.  It was thick and cakey but it covered like a blackout curtain over my face and during that time I was ever so grateful for that kind of coverage.  The coverage stands up with Urban Decay's All Nighter Full Coverage Foundation.  If you have ever used that foundation then you know the power of concealing I'm talking about.


Powder:
Cote AirSpun Powder




I am going to be honest, the only reason I use this powder is because it's inexpensive and has a super large amount that comes in the container.  I have tried so many drugstore loose powders and I can't tell the difference in any of them.  So I just buy the AirSpun.  Actually that's a lie, there's one more reason I buy it...I love the smell.  It takes me back to my mom using this powder.  But this is the most cost effective I find and works just like I want it to.  I bake with it, I use it under my eyes to set concealer, I set my entire face, etc.  It's just what I use and I like it.


Contour:
Elf Contour Pallet



I love to use the Elf contouring pallet.  I like the bronzer in it, and the shimmery highlight is ok, but I don't care for the yellow powder.  Really the only reason I buy this pallet is because I love the contour.  However, this little pallet makes an absolute gorgeous eye look, and I do use the other colors for that sake.

The contour color is perfect for my skin tone.  It's got enough coolness to it that it does not look muddy on my skin and it blends so well.

I have heard that you can pop out each individual pans and replace them, but I haven't seen that.  Therefore, I have personally bought about 10 of these 4 pan pallets over the years.  Come to think of it, this is the only contour color I use when doing actual contouring on my skin.


Bronzer:
Physician's Formula Butter Bronzer





Like I was saying, I don't use the bronzer color in my Elf Contour kit very often.  I will use it if I'm traveling so all I pack is the Elf kit, but for everyday bronzing, I'm going to grab for my Physician's Formula Butter Bronzer.  This is by far my absolute most favorite bronzer EVER!  It's just like the name states....buttery and soft.  The color is so beautiful and smooth, there's just not much to NOT like about it. 


Brows:
Kokie Cosmetics Brow Kit




There are two products on this category that I like and will use for two different reasons.  The first one is my daily "go to" for my brows.  I found this sometime last year when I did an entire series on Kokie Cosmetics review and tutorials.  I actually compared this brow kit to the Anastasia Beverly Hills Brow Powder and found them to be the exact color match.  So naturally I would go for the $7 brow kit over the $27 brow kit....wouldn't you? :)


Maybelline Studio Tattoo Brow Gel



This is the brow product if I'm going to be outside in the heat, if I'm going to be sweating or even in the pool.  It's a very, VERY long wearing brow gel and I love how it lasts on me.  It can be a little tricky to apply because it's a gel formula.  It's not an easy fool proof application like the powders are, but when you get the hang of it, it will be your favorite too.  For a little tip...I don't use the doe foot applicator it comes with.  I am not glossing over my brows like the applicator insinuates....instead I use an angled liner brush to apply it with.  I get precision and an easier application with it.


Eye Shadows:
Wet N Wild Color Icon in Walking On Eggshells



If you do not have this pallet, you are living under a rock....and let me know which rock, I'll drop one of these off for you to keep. :)  Just kidding.....but really, in all honesty, this little kit it a good staple to have on hand.  I love the ease of using it and how it lists the steps on the back as well as stamped in each pan of shadow.  Its a very user friendly pallet for a very natural look.  I think you can't go wrong with such a basic.  On a side note, if you want to use this pallet and then get a deeper look, just use the Elf contour color in the 4 pan kit to deepen the brown up a bit.  You can get a more smokey look by just adding a deeper brown color.


Liquid Eye Liner:
NYX Matte Liquid Liner





I have been using this little liner for many years as well.  It has the best brush applicator with the smallest tip.  I like that it's very flexible and won't drag across the upper lash line and is capable of making a dramatic line.  But I also like that it's stiff enough to lay down the product in a very fine application.  This works well for older eyelids that may have some texture or creping on the top lid.  It doesn't skip or tug at the eye....it's another perfect product.


Physcian's Formula Eye Booster Eye Pen




Here's my next eyeliner that I use on a regular basis.  It's the PF Eye Booster Eye Pen.  It has a brush tip to it but you hold this just like you would a pen.  If you are new to liquid liner or you have shaky hands, etc., this is the liner for you.  Its just that easy to use.  Plus getting a flick on the wing at the end has never been easier until this pen came about.


Pencil Liner:
Milani Stay Put Pencil Liner



This liner is the perfect match for the water line.  It's smooth, soft, won't drag across your eye, smudge proof and lasts all day.  It also allows you to apply it and then smudge it out before it sets up.  When it sets up though, it will stay there and no amount of smudging will be had.

Mascara:
Loreal Paris Voluminous Butterfly Mascara





I was thinking long and hard about what mascara I buy more of....the Loreal Lash Paradise (one in the pink tube) or the Butterfly Effects.  I like the volume you get from the Lash Paradise, but I can find that volume in other mascaras fairly easily.  What I have yet to see in mascaras that I do find in the Butterfly is the way it makes my lashes pull out longer on the sides.  Well, that sounded horrific....what I mean is that it gives my lashes all over volume, but it flares out the outer lashes to give it that "doe eye" effect.  And I have yet to see any other mascara do that other than the Butterfly.  You will often see the Loreal Lash Paradise in my collection, but you will always for sure see the Loreal Voluminous Butterfly Mascara.



Blush:
Milani Rose Blush - Blossomtime Rose





I think this shade is so perfect for my color and really perks up my face.  I love this blush with simple eye looks, so as not to overwhelm the look all together.  But I also love it for dramatic eye looks and lightly swiped across my cheeks for some color balance.  While this may not be the perfect shade for everyone, I think that in this formula you could find your perfect shade.  It's a matte blush so it won't emphasize any texture on your skin, so this can be used by young and old.  And I can't forget how beautiful it is to look at, so you could leave it out on your vanity for some serious eye candy.



Lipstick:
Rimmel Lasting Lipstick in Airy Fairy





Just like the blush, this again, is the perfect color for my skin tone.  I love these lipsticks because they are creamy and while they don't hang out as long as a liquid lipstick, they don't wear off that quick either.  They are creamy and comfy to wear but you don't have to worry about it drifting outside lip lines or keep checking yourself in the mirror.



Ok, I hinted in the title that I have my absolute, number 1, Holy Grail drugstore makeup product that cannot and will not live without....I'm not sure what I did before I found this product either.....

Are you ready to see?  Ok,

Hard Candy Oopsy Pen





If you are new to liquid liner or old to liquid liner or have no clue as to what liquid liner is....you still will want this product.  I love having this on hand.  I have gone through three of them...I am pretty sure one pen will last me a year or better.  But it will absolutely erase eye makeup mistakes.  So if you make an oopsy on your liner, your shadow or mascara....heck if you jack up your lipstick, this product will get it off without messing up the rest of your makeup.

I can't tell you how many times I have sneezed, coughed or Caleb bumped into me while doing liner or mascara and made a huge mess, but this little pen dug me out of cosmetic trench.  Before this pen came out, I would have to remove the entire eye look and start over.  Now when I make a mistake or even if my wing isn't quite what I want, I just use the tip of the pen and drag it where I want to "erase" the liner or shadow.  It couldn't be more perfect of a product to always have on hand.


And there you have it....my list of drug store must have cosmetics and my absolute Holy Grail product. 

Are your ready to see the look I created with these products?  You will also get a glimpse of Caleb too!



What did you think? 

What are some things you cannot live without?  Have you tried the Oopsy Pen?  Let me know in the comment section below, I'd love to know what your thoughts are.

Well, that's all the makeup talk I have for today.  I hope you will come back next week and see what's up with me here at 523.  Until next time, take care.

-Kim





No comments:

Post a Comment