Monday, February 18, 2019

Family Favorite from Paula Deen - Not Yo' Mama's Banana Pudding



This weekend we had Caleb's Cubscout Blue and Gold Banquet. 



He had lots of fun playing with his friends, receiving his hard earned awards, learning about lemurs and seeing waayyy too large for my personal comfort...tarantulas. 


We all had to bring a dish to share of food from our culture.  I brought German sausage which is from a German meat market, not too far from our home town.  This sausage is something that is sought after during all the family gatherings at Brad's family. 

Another dish I brought was the Paula Dean's Not Yo' Mama's Banana Pudding.  This has been my family's and Brad's family favorite for a very long time as well.   I make this multiple times per year and on holidays where my sister's husband and children come, I typically make them a batch to take home with them because they love it so much.

Today I wanted to bring you the recipe and show you just how easy it is to prepare it.  I hope you try it out and enjoy it just as much as our family does.

You can view the recipe on Paula Deen's website here.

I will always give credit where it's due and my gosh does Paula EVER deserve the credit for this dish!!

So here's just what you need:



1 - 12oz tub of Cool Whip (this will be the freezer section, but when you bring it home, put it in the refrigerator)
1 - 14oz can of sweetened condensed milk....make sure you get the "sweetened"
1 - 8oz bar of cream cheese
2 - cups of milk
1 - 5oz box of vanilla INSTANT pudding / pie filling (do NOT get the "cook" kind, make sure it says "instant")
6 - bananas....you can use more or less...I find that 6 works perfectly for us, however I see people use only 4 and some use 8
2 - bags of Chessman cookies....these are made by Pepperidge Farm and are in the stand up bags

Directions:

The first thing I do is I separate out my cookies....there are bound to be some that are broken so I get those out.


Next thing I do...because I have issues....is I get out five of the shapes and make sure to have four cookies of each shape (as you see below) and set these aside,  these will be the topping at the end.



Slice up your bananas.



Lay the other cookies on the bottom of a 13x9 pan and then top cookies with sliced bananas.


In large bowl, combine milk and pudding.


In another bowl combine cream cheese (I like to cut the cream cheese up in little blocks, it makes it easier to mix) and condensed milk, using an electric mixer, beat until smooth


Mix pudding and cream cheese and condensed mixture together.


Next, drop a cookie to Scooby...he wouldn't move out from under my feet until I did.


Fold the Cool Whip into the pudding mixture until well blended.


Pour onto the cookies and bananas and then top with second bag of cookies (the ones we saved earlier), cover and put in refrigerator until time to serve.



This is best when it's had time to set in the refrigerator for a few hours before serving.  It allows the cookies to get slightly soft.

Last, you will want to take the broken cookies and scrape the bowl....because licking the bowl clean wouldn't be polite.


But that's how you make this famous banana pudding.  Ours was eaten completely at the banquet and Brad had to work so he didn't get any of it.

I promised him I'd make him a batch this coming week.  So I'm going to go to the store tonight to get the stuff for it.

I hope you enjoyed today's post...its a little different than normal.  But I like sharing our real life with my followers just as much as I do the makeup stuff, so I hope you don't mind...I might bring a few more posts such as these in the near future.

But for today, that's all I got.  I will see you all again really soon with a makeup post featuring a new Maybelline City Mini pallet....yep I found yet another!! I'm excited because I really like the looks I have made so far with this little gem.

So, until next time, take care.

-Kim




No comments:

Post a Comment