Friday, January 25, 2019

Dupe or Dud? - Cover FX Shimmer Veil - VS - Revlon Photo Ready Eye Art


TGIF!! Woohoo, it's Friday!!  How are you on this fantastic Friday?  I'm doing great here at 523.  I'm looking forward to a relaxing weekend with only one plan in mind....Bingo at the nursing home with granny! :)  We go each and every Monday to the nursing home and visit with my paternal grandmother.  They always have fun activities to do at the home, but she won't get out of her room to participate....she says "it's too cold".

While she really doesn't care much for the game of Bingo, she did say that if Caleb came up and wanted to play (because that is Caleb's favorite game) that she'd gladly leave her room and go play.  So, that's our plan.....B-I-N-G-O with G-R-A-N-N-Y.  What does your weekend hold for you?  Let me know below...I'd love to know.

So, today I am bringing you another "Dupe or Dud" post, where we will be comparing a $28 USD product to a $8 USD product.

While going through my makeup, I came across this Cover FX Shimmer Veil in Amethyst.  I think I received this in a subscription box and never opened it, but decided to see what it was all about.



It looked similar to a product that I already had on hand, which was the Revlon Photo Ready Eye Art in Fuschia Flash.



When looking at them in their containers they do not in the least bit look the same....however when I swatched them on my hand, they were extremely close looking. 

The Cover FX is the swatch on the right side and Revlon is on the left side.


So I decided to try them out on my eyes to see if there were any sort of differences when wearing them.  As you can see, however, there is a subtle difference in the way they look on the eyes.


The Cover FX (on the right) has more of a glittery purple hue to it.  Whereas the Revlon (on the left) has a more metallic finish and stays true to the pink color.  So they are not "dupes". 

While I'd normally say that I was sad they weren't dupes, I have to be honest...I actually don't care for the Cover FX.  I have worn this eye look for the past 3 days and all three days the Cover FX has been flaking off all over my face and falling into my eyes.  Not fun, nor comfortable!!

However, while I don't like the formula of the Cover FX, I do like the slight purple hue it gives.  So I decided to play around with some other stuff in my collection and I did find another product to add to the Revlon to make it look more comparable (minus the flaking) to the Cover FX.  I topped the Revlon with the Milani Hypnotic Lights in Beaming that cost $10. 




Together (Milani and Revlon) they made a good color and texture match to the Cover FX.  So for only $18 USD, I got the same look as I did with the $28 USD product and didn't have to deal with the flaking off!


I did try to use the Milani by itself, but it doesn't have a cream colored base....its almost like it's mostly shimmer that gives the color, not necessarily the base of the product.  When used alone it looked more like a wash of purple glitter on the eyes, nothing like the cream of the Cover FX.

In case you were curious, here is my full completed look.  I used the Rimmel Crimson pallet and applied the 4th color from the left throughout my crease, applied it heavier in the outer V and ran it on my lower lash line.  I used the Milani Blossomtime blush for my cheeks and for lips I used the Loreal Color Riche in Rose Gold.







 Anyways, I love finding less expensive ways to recreate looks!! It's puts a little pep in my step to do this...and it's not just makeup, I will do this with home furnishings, clothes, accessories, etc.   In fact I'm currently in the process of looking for a pair of earrings that had butterflies on them, that Meghan Markle, Dutchess of Sussex, was wearing not too long ago.


Obviously I cannot afford the ones she was sporting, but I can get really close to the look and not have to have the Queen's approval to buy them.  LOL

Anyways, that's all the makeup talk I have for today.  I hope you all have a beautiful weekend and I will see you all again really soon.  So, until next time, take care.

-Kim

No comments:

Post a Comment