Monday, January 28, 2019

Gimmick or Great? - Pizza Cutter Shaped Applicator for Liquid Liner



Hello and happy Monday!! Well, Caleb and I had high hopes of playing Bingo with my grandmother this past Saturday at the nursing home.  But when we arrived there was a note posted on the door saying "if your visit is not necessary, please reschedule, there is a viral illness in the entire building and we are trying to keep it contained". 

While I know Granny was really excited for us to come and Caleb was really excited to play Bingo with her, I knew that we had to turn away.  This will also keep us from going tonight on our normal visits to the nursing home, when Caleb reads to Granny.  It is sad, but I know that kind of illness is very serious and I don't want to risk Caleb getting sick, nor do I want Caleb bringing any outside germs to people who already might be sick and their immune systems aren't up to par. 

Well, that was what our weekend held....how was yours?  Have you ever been turned away from a place because illness ran rampant through the building?  I had never experienced this before, but this is the first year for my grandmother to be in a nursing home too.  So, I wonder if this is a normal procedure or if this is really some serious issue?  What do you think?

So, today we are going to talk about something I came across while cleaning up my makeup drawer the other day and it's inspired me to seek out this post idea a bit further.  So today I present my first of (I hope) many other posts on items that look like a gimmick item and either really are a gimmick or they are really great!

So, let's start!
I have been into makeup, skincare, bath and any sort of beauty products since early Jr. High, and I have seen plenty of items in my days.  Some really unique and innovating products and some just plain ridiculous and make you scratch your head wondering "WTF?"

 


Today we are going to determine if this eye liner that has a pizza cutter style applicator is one of those types of gimmick products or if it's really a great product.  The product I am talking about is the Butter London Stroke of Wow Roller Liner. 



I had received this in a Boxy Charm subscription a while back and decided to see how well it worked.  It looked almost scary to me when I first saw it.  I don't know if any of you have been cut by an actual pizza cutter before, but if you had, you'd be just as apprehensive of putting such by your eye, as I am.  LOL



I am mostly a drugstore cosmetics girl, so please know that you can get a liner applicator just like the Butter London one at Walmart by purchasing the Revlon Roll Liner, instead.  If this hadn't been sent in a subscription box, I'd never had purchased it.  So if this is intriguing to you, I'd say pick Revlon first.  BTW:  The formula of the Butter London isn't very good anyways so I'd go for the Revlon for that reason alone. Just in case you were curious.




But let's get started.  I'm not sure who thought this might be a good idea to put a thin roller as an applicator for liner.  I see some part of the idea because you can get a very thin line. 


 But, have you ever used a pizza cutter and tried to cut in circles or round out edges with it?  It doesn't always work like that.  This liner applicator, while it will make nice thin straight liner, will not go in a curved motion.  Such as the shape of my eye. 


I had to go in little swipe-y motions to allow for the curvature of my eye lid, and got a very choppy look from it.  This was not my first time using this on these photos either.  I had already been playing with it a few times this week trying to make it work.  I would think that if you are willing to put in the time and effort, there could be a learning curve you will need to learn.  Apparently I did not pick up that curve.


While I do believe you can get a nice thin line, I couldn't get this liner to get close enough to my lash line however.  You can see gaps where it should be on my lid, but isn't.  I like the brush tipped liners because the liquid on the brush will in a sense "fill in" the gaps of my lid. 


Ok, while I couldn't make this liner work for me, that doesn't mean it won't work for your.  There are 4 out of 5 stars on the Butter London site that the applicator is wonderful and has helped "newbies" to liquid liner, get precise wings and thin lines.  As always this is my personal experience from this product and yours might be very different, especially because all of our eyes aren't the same.  So it's up to you to decide if this is the product for you or not.  And while I can't say this product is "great" I can't quite say it's a "gimmick" either.  I think it's a lot like magnetic lashes, whereas you have to find the learning curve to making it work.

Well, that's all the makeup talk I have for today.  If you have tried this product or one like it, let me know, I'm interested to know if it works well for you or if you have any tips I may try out.

I will talk to you all again soon, and my next post will be the tutorial for the green shadow I am wearing in the above photos.  But until next time, take care.


-Kim

No comments:

Post a Comment